Welcome to the second edition of Wildlife Wednesdays. Now you have to keep a good eye out for these fast birds here at the Resort. You usually can hear them before you see them. A lot of people mistake the sound of their wings for bees!
Some facts about these little creatures:
- They can only grow up to 3 – 3.5 Inches
- The females are larger than the males
- When hovering, their wings beat 55 times a second. When they are backing up, their wings beat 61 times a second. When they are flying forward, their wings beat 75 times a second.
- Their heart rates are 615 beats per minute.
- They have been clocked flying at speeds up to 50 – 60 miles per hour.
- If the average human were to consume as much food as a hummingbird, he or she would have to eat 103 kilograms (228 pounds) daily!