A great money saving benefit of staying at our Eagle River resort is the access to the full kitchen. When traveling with family, food bills can get expensive when going out to eat. Having a kitchen can provide quick snacks, healthier eating options, and access to making dinner so each night isn’t a $50 ++ night.
However we know that the last thing you want to do on vacation is cook and dishes – so we thought we’d give you 5 easy and inexpensive dinner ideas that are delicious and don’t use a lot of dishes.
1. Mac n’ Cheese with Ground Beef
Ingredients: 1 box of noodles (we use spirals, but penne, shells, etc will work), 1 bag of mild cheddar cheese, butter and 1lb of ground beef
- Cook the ground beef in a pan – make sure to drain all the oil into the coffee can tin provided – no grease should go down the sink
- While the ground beef cooks, put a pot of water on the stove to boil – once boiling add the pasta. Make sure to stir occasionally so the pasta doesn’t get stuck to the pan.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the pan and turn off the heat on the stove. Add butter (usually 1/4 stick) and sprinkle in the cheese to your liking. We use almost the full bag, but we love cheese. Mix the noodles, butter and cheese until fully mixed.
- Add ground beef and stir – and there you have it!
Side Ideas: Canned Green Beans, Salad
2. Chicken Alfredo
Ingredients: 2 Chicken Breasts or 1 packet of Chicken Tenders, 1-2 Packets of Knorr’s Pasta Sides Alfredo, Butter and Milk
- Cook the chicken – we suggest either pan frying or boiling.
- While the chicken cooks, follow the directions on the back of the Knorr’s side to make the alfredo
- When the chicken is done, cut it up into small pieces and add that to the pot with the finished alfredo noodles
Side Ideas: Salad, Steamed Broccoli
3. Shepard’s Pie
Ingredients: 1 Package of Simply Potatoes Mashed Potatoes, 1 can of corn, 1 package of ground turkey, 1 bag of shredded cheddar, 1 bag of bacon bits
- Pre-Heat Oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the ground turkey in a pan.
- Put the ground turkey in casserole pan as the bottom layer
- Open Can of Corn and Drain – sprinkle over ground turkey layer
- Microwave Simply Potatoes according to direction package
- Add the potatoes over the corn layer- being sure to try to not mix the two layers. We suggest using a rubber spatula and plopping potatoes in various spots for coverage. Then spread to fill in any empty spots
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes
- Sprinkle bacon bits over cheese
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes or until all the cheese is melted and all ingredients are warm
Side Ideas: Fruit Salad
4. Chicken Caesar Salad
Ingredients: 1 Rotisserie Chicken, 1-2 Caesar Salad Kits
- Pull two chicken breasts off rotisserie chicken and cut up into cubes
- Keep the rest of the rotisserie chicken for chicken sandwiches for lunches or to make chicken salad
- Open the salad packages and make according to instructions
- Add the cubed chicken breast and mix and serve.
Side Ideas: French Baguette
Ingredients: 1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs, Barbecue Sauce, Aluminum Foil
- Pre Heat Oven to 225 degrees
- Prep Ribs for cooking – remove membrane on the under side of Ribs
- Place in Pan with meat side up – salt and pepper each side of the ribs.
- Use Brush to cover meat side with BBQ sauce
- Cover Ribs with Aluminum Foil
- Place in oven and cook for 4 hours
- Remove from over and re-brush with BBQ sauce and place in broiler for 5 minutes or until the BBQ turns into a glaze
Side Ideas: Corn on the Cob, Salad, Frozen Bag of Mixed Veggies